Sunday, November 17, 2013

LS 589 and the AASL conference!

What a fantastic last few days! I was able to attend the AASL national conference in Hartford, Ct. and able to meet those people I blog with, have as friends on twitter and Facebook. I attended the UnConference which was fantastic as it was just School librarians, supervisors and administrators who were present. Talk about awesome!

While at the conference I took as many sessions as I could. One of the sessions was about creating  learning commons in elementary schools. I think that we are well on our way to creating these learning commons but need the help of our admin in order to really make them a reality however with the increasing use of technology spaces need to be able to move as needed for both the tech and collaboration of students and staff.

Other sessions I attended were on being an advocate for your school library program, nonfiction and the common core and several others on common core.

At the UnConference I led a discussion on common core and technology and the common core. We were able to discuss our feelings that the common core is actually helping librarians. It is full of mini research lessons that we already do. It showcases a lot of the work that we do as librarians and how we can help teachers and become more involved in collaboration! We also discussed how the common core is not a curriculum but is a standard that meshes with the AASL standards and to use the AASL crosswalk as the work has already been done for us!

What a great week! I have to revisit by notes but I did create a list of things that I could go back and change Monday and what I would like to change by the end of the year and I think that will be a very helpful tool.

Oh and I was able to meet Mr. Buchanan from Clarion in the exhibit hall. It is nice to put a face to the professor and class that he teaches. I was also at the booth when someone was asking about the program and told them that I was also taking classes which I think gave them reassurance on the program!

No comments:

Post a Comment